Saturday, August 1, 2009

And the diagnosis is...

Tuesday, July 28th, was my 26th birthday. It seemed like a great day for a doctor's appointment (booo) but it was for a rheumatologist and they are not easy to get appointments with so I took what I could get. We woke up and said our goodbyes to Dan and Luke (Trevor was nice enough to accompany me) and we were off to the doctors. My appointment was set for 11 but I didn't get called back until 12...awesome. Then we sat in the room for another 30 minutes. The doctor apologized and said they were really behind...ya think? So there's a story behind why I had to go to a rheumatologist so here's the reason.

When I was 16 I had blood work done because I was always tired. I mean really ridiculously exhausted for a 16 year old. I would come home from school and take a 2 hour nap and then wake up for a few hours and then go back to bed for the night. The blood work showed I had hypothyroidism so I was put on medication to fix the issue. From then on, I never took my medicine the correct way but somehow my blood work always came back normal and I was still exhausted. A few years ago, I stopped taking the medicine altogether and magically my blood work was still normal. I guess miracles do happen because I had an autoimmune disorder that disappeared on its own. I'm still not convinced I ever had the issue in the first place but who knows. So for 10 years now I've gotten blood test after blood test with no answers as to what causes me to feel so tired (and a whole host of other symptoms too). I've learned to live with it because what choice do I have. So I recently changed doctors hoping she would come up with something. Christmas Eve of 2008 I got a phone call from the doctor's office letting me know my blood work was now showing Lyme Disease...great...Merry Christmas to you too lady. I was treated for that and repeated my blood work and everything looked good so she sent me to the rheumatologist.

Here we are on my birthday going through the standard exam. She felt every joint in my body and asked me a thousand questions about my medical history and my family's as well. Because she was a resident, she wanted to consult with the veteran doctor that was working with her. After a few minutes they both came in and let me know their thoughts. They told me they believe I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's a relief that I was given diagnosis but it also kind of sucks because CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion because there is no test to determine if you have it or not. Anyway, they told me they want me to do two things: 1) do a sleep study because I wake up constantly throughout the night and 2) take Cymbalta to try to help the CFS. Well, Cymbalta is an anti-depressant so I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to help my problem but I'm listening to the doctor and taking the medication. Cymbalta can cause liver problems if you drink too much so that is why I'm done drinking altogether while I'm on the medicine.

So far, I haven't had the best experience with the medicine. I feel pretty dizzy and just overall disoriented. Also, I've had a major headache since Tuesday night and it doesn't seem to be getting better and add in the nausea...yeah I don't feel too hot. The pharmacist said these symptoms "SHOULD" be fine so that's comforting (that's sarcasm in case anyone didn't pick up on it). I've been told the side effects should subside in about a week so I'm really hoping they do or I'll just go back to living everyday with no energy and deal with it. It would just be nice to have the energy of a 26 year old instead of a 90 year old. After all, I have a baby and a poker playing, traveling fiance to keep up with. :)

So back to the happy stuff. After the doctor, (which took 2 hours total) we went home and I, of course, napped but not before I got a text from Luke. He said Farrah sent him a text that said she was back home while he was sitting in the airport waiting for his flight :( no good. A little later, an old friend, Alicia, and her fiance came over. I haven't seen her since Ava was 1 week old (she'll be 11 months on August 3). It was good to see her and catch up and hopefully, we'll keep our friendship going this time. We were best friends since 7th grade and lived together a couple years ago but we went in separate directions. Dinner plans were set for 8 pm at Applebee's with Alicia and her fiance Joe, Trevor, me, Ava, and Katie P, and Katie K, my friends from PJ's. Dinner was fun and by the time we were done, we were all tired and ready for bed.

Wednesday, we had plans to head up to visit one of Trevor's college friends. I decided to stay home because I had just started taking the medicine and felt horrible. So Trevor and Ava went up without me and had a good time. Ava sat on the sand for the first time and Trevor said she seemed indifferent. Like always, she was super happy all day. She really is the best baby.

On Thursday, we had a lot of running around to do so Trevor's sister Trinna came over and played with Ava so we could get things done. We came home and hung around for a bit and then Ava and I went to Target. She decided that sitting in the seat of the cart was not going to cut it so she kept turning around and standing up. It made for a fun trip around the store. The only way I could get her to sit was to give her my cell phone which he would crack up over and then get bored and throw it on the ground. But she had me laughing so it was fine...she can obviously do no wrong :).

Today, we hung around all day and both Ava and I got 2 hour naps. Some pretty bad storms hit us that knocked down some trees and a lot of tree branches all over the area. We had a Beef and Beer to go to tonight for Trevor's step brother's baseball team and when we arrived, we realized there was no power in the fire hall. So no lights or AC...not fun. We were all sweating and sitting my candlelight but the DJ was nice enough to run his equipment off of his car battery so we at least had something to listen to. Trevor bought about $40 worth of Chinese Auction tickets, 50/50's and whatever else they had but won nothing. Poor Ava went in with straight hair and left with curls all over her head - but it looked adorable. Finally, it was over and we were on our way home, but not before making a quick stop at Taco Bell - my first visit there in over a year probably. Now, I'm exhausted and ready for bed where Trevor already retired to. Hopefully this medicine starts working soon instead of making it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment