Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Birthdays Galore

Growing up I never really knew anyone with a birthday in July. Now, there are 5 birthdays back to back. My stepfather Dennis is July 24, my aunt is July 25, Trevor is July 26, his little sister is July 27 and I'm July 28. There was nothing to do for Dennis since he was in St. Maarten with my mom and my aunt lives in Florida, but birthday celebrations began on Saturday.

On Friday, we hung around for most of the day and then we ran to Trevor's mom's to take back her laptop that I fixed and then went to his dad's house to eat and drop off the baby so we could go to the Phillies game. It started pouring pretty early in the game so there was about an hour rain delay. Our seats are under the upper level seats so we didn't have any issues with getting wet, but we left our seats anyway to meet up with some friends for a bit. We didn't stay for the whole game because a) they were losing and b) we were hungry and knew we wouldn't have time after the game since it was delayed and we still had to pick up Ava. We left and headed over to PJ's for some dinner and then picked up Ava and went home.

Saturday was the big day...our birthday celebration. Luke and Dan arrived around 4:30 or so and some friends, Danny and Jackie, stopped by as well because they had some time before a reception. We had to run to Kohl's to get Luke some shoes to wear because he sent his dress shoes home with his Mom not thinking he would need them. The plan was to go out in Philly so he'd definitely need them. Then we headed over to PJ's for a drink and to visit my friend Katie and then we were off to Philly for dinner. We ate at Mixto and it was really good. Pitcher's of mojito's were everywhere and they were delicious - I think they're becoming my new favorite drink (although I'm taking a big break from any drinking at all until closer to the wedding). After dinner we went to Raj's girlfriend Arti's apartment and played Taboo. I felt incredibly dumb playing it because I'm terrible under pressure. I couldn't get any answers out and when it was my turn to do the talking I couldn't explain anything. It was not fun.

In case you don't know how to play here's a quick rundown: there are cards with a word on the top and other words listed below...you have to describe the top word without using any of the listed words and people have to guess what you're describing...if you say one of the words you get buzzed and lose a point...when someone guesses the word you move to the next card and keep going until 1 minute is up.

So anyway, one of the cards was "Matt Damon" and Trevor's friend Timmy had to describe him. It was ridiculous because I'm pretty sure he didn't get much else out except actor, but definitely nothing very descriptive, and Luke says "Matt Damon!" There were like 13 people playing and we all just looked at him like how the hell did you guess that?! It was pretty crazy.

When Taboo ended, we went to The Walnut Room. At first, it sucked pretty bad - it was incredibly hot and crowded. But after a few minutes, we moved down the bar a bit to the end and it was more open, there was a seat, and also a giant fan on the wall so from there it turned into a fabulous night.

Luke asked a girl to dance and she said no but you have to give him credit for trying. I have to say I've never seen a guy be so willing to talk to girls. I admire that about him just because of the way he handles the situations. He doesn't act like a moron like most guys do when they are trying to pick up a girl and if she says no he doesn't get pushy so good for him. Eventually, 2 black girls took him onto the dance floor and he was gone for a while. Overall, it was a great night with great food and great people so thanks everyone who came!

After we left there, we went to the Colonial Diner of course. Luke was hammered and he had his head in his hand and the waitress smacked his hand into his face. It was hilarious. Another funny moment came from Dan of course. He ordered a waffle with strawberries and ice cream on it and she brought him a waffle with cherries and goop (like what they put on top of cherry cheesecake) all over it. When she brought him out the new one she apologized and said the first one had strawberries on it but not how he wanted them (they were CLEARLY cherries) and Dan said "AND CHERRIES!"...something so simple but the way he delivered it had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. By the time we got home it was 4 am and we were all ready to go to sleep.

Sunday was Trevor's actual birthday and my Dad and stepmom wanted to take us out to lunch. We had to meet up with them at my Grandmom's to pick up Ava since they took her for the night and then we headed over to TGI Friday's with our other 2 kids in tow, of course. From there, we came home and hung out for a bit and then Dan and I ran to Target to pick up Trevor's gift which of course they did not have.

My Mom called a little earlier in the day and asked if we wanted to come over for dinner so when we got back from Target we went to her house. She said that she quickly whipped up the meal but she had grilled chicken, 3 racks of ribs, a whole tray of the most perfect looking tomato and mozzarella slices (or as Dan says, MOOTZ-a-rellll), tortellini salad, and corn on the cob. Everything was delicious and my Mom let Luke and Dan know that if my stepdad bought her boobs she would sit at a topless bar in St. Maarten with her shirt off...lovely...thanks Mom. When we left we ran to another store to find Trevor's gift which they had (another 22" monitor) but I had to stand in line for about 30 minutes because of a white trash couple that were trying to buy the entire store and eventually left with nothing...another story for another day. We came home and hung around the rest of the night.

Monday was a busy day. Ava had an appointment to get a shot so I took her over. She took it like a champ and cried for a second and then smiled and clapped for the nurse. When Ava and I got home we (the whole family) headed to Staples for a new desk to accomodate both monitors. Dan mentioned a craving for Houlihan's so Trevor flipped a coin to go to Tapplebee's (Trevor named it that for tails) which was close by or Houlihan's (Heads) which was about 30 mins away. The coin landed on Heads so we were off to Cherry Hill. Lunch was delicious and our waitress caught Luke's soup du jour question and then threw out movie lines herself for the rest of the lunch so they loved her. At first I thought she was going to hate us because when she greeted out table Dan asked her if her earrings were light bulbs but she laughed and agreed. Afterwards, we went back to Staples to pick up and the desk and then Dan and I put it together. Trevor, Luke, and Dan went back to Staples to try to find the right video cards for the dual monitors with no luck.

This is when things went down hill. Naturally I proceeded to drink too many twisted teas since it was almost my birthday. I played Mario Kart with Trevor - he beat me the first time and I beat him the second. Trevor loves to brag, brag, and brag some more which is why Luke posted that I was threatening his life (obviously after he won the first game). I drank and drank and apparently berated Luke every chance I got. Then I guess I lost it a tad because when it was time to go to bed, I said goodnight Dan...Luke you suck at life and gave him then finger. I picked up one of Ava's hard plastic toys and launched it at him, just missing his head.(Trevor would like me to point out that by launch I mean I threw it at full speed, the fastest I could possibly throw it from just a few feet away)..oops...sorry Luke. That probably was not the best decision I've ever made but it didn't hit him thankfully. You'll never hear me say that I don't pick on Luke because I certainly do but he is not innocent either. He makes his fair share of comments as well but hopefully he knows I don't mean anything maliciously. I'm pretty sure he thought I planned on blaming everything on him in this blog but I'm definitely not going to do that...I probably should take it easy on him because I was pretty relentless. I think he knows that he's welcome here anytime he wants.

Since this is the longest blog ever, I'm going to end here so no ones brain explodes. I'll pick up on my birthday next time.


1 comment:

  1. I have to say this is the BEST blog out there ! (It could be that i'm mentioned once in a while...who knows)

    I would just like to point out that I don't say MOOTZ like some mook from wannabe Italia-ville. I simply pronounce the word properly. Not that Jody says it improperly,she just uses a more "American" pronunciation...Thank God she doesn't say MOTTTS-A-RELLA :)


    Great Blog ! Great Times ! Great Friends !

    ReplyDelete